Saturday, March 2, 2013

Gross High School Light Show


     Last week I was talking to Aleah Peters (Miss Douglas County) and Rachel Foehlinger (Miss Lake McConaughy). We were chatting about our extra busy weekend with appearances and long practices at the studio when they mentioned that we had a Sunday night appearance. I hadn't heard about any Sunday night but the girls were kind enough to let the organizer know that I would be there with them, and I appreciated that - If I'm free, I'm certainly not one to turn down an appearance for a good cause.
     So Sunday night I dolled myself up one more time and left my house to go across town to the Gross High School End of the Year Showcase and Light Show.

     Ever since I got two flat tires within a few months of each other in my relatively new car, I have been paranoid anytime my car feels like it is driving a little funny. Tonight - my car felt like it was driving a little funny. So on the way to the high school, I pulled into a gas station, got out of my car in my crown, sash, and heels, and checked each of my tires to make sure none looked low or flat.
     Reassured that I was being paranoid, I hopped back into my car and drove the rest of the way to Gross...where I once again became convinced that my car was not driving quite right. After going inside and getting set up, I walked back outside and checked the pressure in each of my tires. I went around tire-by-tire (still in crown, sash, and heels outside of a high school) twisting off the cap, checking the pressure, and putting the cap back on. When I got to my third tire, I knew something was wrong; upon closer inspection - the cap was missing from the tire! In a hurry to get back inside, I threw the pressure gauge back in my car, and ran back inside where I proceeded to call my mom and explain that I had a nearly flat tire that was missing a cap.
    While I took care of my appearance, my sister (who did happen to be near) headed out to be my Knight-in-shining-armor and check my tires - which all happened to be the same tire pressure!
     I couldn't be more thankful to have such an awesome, wonderful, and caring family!

     While she was playing the hero, I got to enjoy the Gross High School End of the Year Show. The girls were absolutely fabulous and I was so excited to see their friends and family there cheering up a storm. The girls seemed so excited!
     My involvement came in while the girls were getting ready for their grand finale - a light show! For every ticket that was purchased, the team donated money to the Children's Miracle Network. I was invited, therefore, to speak about the organization while the girls prepared for their final dance.
     Now, I didn't have much notice about this event, and I only found out I would be doing it alone at about 5 o'clock Sunday night. So when Abby asked me to speak for 5 minutes, I was actually a little nervous. I got up to the podium though and began speaking to the audience about the Children's Miracle Network. I talked to them about what the organization does, how they can get involved, and about my experiences with the children and families that benefit from the organization.

     It is always an honor to become further involved with the Children's Miracle Network and to practice my public speaking skills, so I want to extend a huge thank you to the Gross High Dance Coach, Abby Pivovar for allowing me to become involved with the event!
     I also wanted to congratulate Abby and her teams on a wonderful show! They ended the evening with a light show - they turned off all of the lights in the gymnasium and danced with light sticks attached to their hands and feet. It was truly amazing and I would highly recommend that everyone go see the show if they ever get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment