Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Spread the Word to End the Word

    
Some of the athletes serving at the Breakfast of Champions!
 
      Last year doing the polar plunge sparked my interest in the Special Olympics. Shortly after the plunge I got to attend the Breakfast of Champions for the athletes and my interest furthered. The athletes competing in the Olympics are incredible - they often overcome serious obstacles in order to compete in multiple events! When I get the chance to attend the events, I am often in awe of the obstacles these athletes face and the laid back way they discuss their difficulties. I feel like I have made some friends through my work with the organization and I have become rather fond of them.
 
One of the athletes who plunged last year!
 
     It was only after those events last year that I learned about the Day of Awareness Campaign - better known as Spread the Word to End the Word. The campaign aims to stop use of the word "retard" or "retarded" which has become a slur in modern times.
     In support of the campaign, I will be wearing blue tomorrow and doing my part to spread the word - I hope to see many other people in blue trying to end the use of the slur and bring more respect to people with disabilities!
 
Read the New York Times Article about the campaign:

No comments:

Post a Comment