Sunday, March 3, 2013

Signing Dr. Seuss

      Every month, there is a Connect Saturday event in which a hearing impaired adult reads or signs a story to deaf and hard of hearing children. Ever since I joined with Hands and Voices, I have been looking forward to the opportunity to read at one of the Connect Saturday events that they coordinate. I finally got my chance Saturday morning!
     Considering that it was Dr. Seuss' birthday, I thought it would be a brilliant idea to read a Dr. Seuss book to the kids! So when I got to the Swanson library in Omaha, I asked one of the librarians if they had any Dr. Seuss books that they thought would be good to read to the kids. They brought me "If I Ran the Circus" which looked extremely cute.
      As I sat around chatting and catching up with the parents and other adult guests at the event, the sign interpreter began glancing at the book. I knew right away that I should have chosen a different book. Who really thinks reading a book with a bunch of made-up words is a good idea? Obviously, sign interpreters don't!
 
      My interpreter was exceptionally kind though, and we worked together to read through the book. After finishing, I asked if his hands were tired. His response - "no, but my brain is!" I am so extremely appreciative of his effort. Not only did he get a bit of a challenge in practicing his sign, but I was able to share the fun of Dr. Seuss with the kids and celebrate his birthday and the kids seemed to really enjoy it!
Who wouldn't be entertained seeing this story signed?!
 
My oh-so-wonderful interpreter!
     I was also able to talk to several of the adults in attendance at the event which is always nice. We were able to discuss many pressing issues for hearing impaired individuals. One topic that particularly struck me was the issue of mentors/role models. The interpreter told us of an experience he had with a deaf child who was convinced he was going to grow up and become hearing. Deaf children (and most children, in general) have no or limited experience with deaf adults. Children generally do not get to see hearing impaired individuals, and they never really get to see hearing impaired people who work in high up jobs or who have a lot of influence. We need to change this by bringing together hearing impaired kids and adults and allowing kids to see that there are successful hearing impaired adults making an impact in the world. I hope to be able to get involved working to change this!   

 The little boy wanted to be Abraham Lincoln and George Washington at the same time!
A new friend!

These two were super shy and the dad had to make them laugh to get a good picture :)
The little one did warm up to me when he got to see himself on my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment