Thursday, March 28, 2013

Flapper Flashback

     Ever since I was little, I have dreamed of being in a fashion show. While a few opportunities have presented themselves, none have worked out - until this weekend at least!
     This last weekend I was able to attend the Glamour and Glitz Historical Fashion Show for the Douglas County Historical Society. The fashion show is put on mostly to raise money to help the Douglas County Historical Society raise funds that can help preserve important history of Douglas County, but it also allows Sue McLain, owner of Yesterday's Lady in Beatrice, to show off the historical gowns she has collected over the years. It is also a great time to recognize one important and influential woman from the community for her work to strengthen our community.


     My role at the show this year was to model in the fashion show and I was so excited for this! After fittings Friday night, it was decided that I would model an original 1920's flapper dress and a ball gown from the 1940's. I have always had a bit of a fascination with the clothing of the 1920's so I was beyond excited to wear the flapper dress!
Getting my hair done!
Caitlyn - a fellow model!

    When I got there Saturday morning, I had quite a bit of time to hang out with the other models while we waited for hair and makeup. They were so fun to get to know and I was honored to meet them! It was also amazing to see the transformation that each girl went through, changing from a normal girl in 2013 to a fabulously dressed woman from history. The assistants really did a fabulous job taking us back in time by changing our hair and doing our makeup!


     Once we were all transformed, it was showtime! My excitement nearly bubbled over and I did what I could to get into character before taking the runway. I danced and walked my way across the runway and then walked through the audience as instructed. As I went through people seemed to nearly hold their breath and I heard several utter "beautiful" in low whispers. These spectators were amazingly kind as they told me how wonderful I looked and how I looked like I could have come straight from the 1920's! It really was a wonderful experience and I am so thankful to have received it!
    I am also thankful for Herb Thompson who took the photo's of the actual fashion show - they turned out beautifully!
    Finally, I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter! I am incredibly excited to have a weekend to spend some much needed time with my family! I hope you get to enjoy the Holiday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment