Tuesday, March 5, 2013

An American Girl at Heart

     When I was younger, I absolutely loved my American Girl Dolls - Samantha and Felicity! I remember going to the store numerous times and begging for new clothes or accessories and playing with friends who had the dolls. I only wish I had known about an American Girl Fashion Show at that time.
     This last Saturday I got to learn all about the American Girl Fashion Show and the Junior League of Omaha who runs it.
With some of the girls who got to model in the shows!
 
     The fashion show itself was an awesome experience! All together, the Junior League put on 8 fashion shows with approximately 40 girls in each show. Despite the large number of girls and the insanely busy weekend, the Junior League never let down and put on AMAZING shows all 8 times!
     They welcomed the girls before each show, allowed the girls to change into an American Girl outfit, had the girls get their hair done, and then they were able to go upstairs. Upstairs they received an American Girl Doll who was wearing an outfit that matched the one the model was wearing. The girls were to carry this doll as they modeled. After they got their dolls, they were able to practice their walks one more time before heading out to the big stage!
With the models before one of the shows!
 
     I started the day in the dressing room helping to do the models' hair. I was excited to see the transformation of the girls and it was a great time to get to know them! I even met one little girl who had done the show 10 times - the first time occurring when she was six months old!
Signing autographs in crayon :)
 
     The girls were excited to be pampered for the day and they really enjoyed having "queens" do their hair! I was joined by Ellie Lorenzen (Miss Nebraska USA) Jasmine Fuelberth (Miss Nebraska Teen USA) and one of the lovely volunteers, Maddie. After we finished working on hair, we were fortunate enough to spend some time just hanging out with the girls until they had their finale. It was incredibly fun dancing, signing autographs in crayon, and playing Down By The Banks until show time! The girls had so much energy and kept us on our toes - I loved it! We even had time to let them try on our crowns!
One of the girls trying on my crown :)
 
     During the lunch break, I was able to grab lunch with the girls. I truly feel blessed by the opportunity to make friends with more of my own sister queens this year, but also with queens from other pageant systems. I have competed against Ellie before in the Miss America system and I have absolutely loved reconnecting and catching up with her recently!
At the Winning Crown Boutique!
 
     It was also great meeting Jasmine and Maddie. Jasmine is an absolutely stunning 16 year old girl. Not only is she beautiful, but she is also kind and humble. I don't remember the last time I have heard someone use their manners so consistently. She also didn't make a big deal when we stopped into the dress shop or when the girls told her how beautiful she was. She was the image of grace and she seemed beyond her years. I wish Jasmine the best of luck at Miss USA Teen and in her future modeling and acting careers - I have no doubt she will go far!
Ellie, Maddie, Jasmine, and myself at the Winning Crown Boutique
 
     Maddie impressed me as well. Maddie is a fellow pageant girl who competed against Jasmine at the Miss Nebraska Teen USA pageant. Despite the competition, Maddie was kind, friendly, and bubbly the entire day and had no problem keeping the conversation going. It was fun hanging out with her and getting a teenage perspective on life again! I wish Maddie the best of luck in her future endeavors as well, I am sure she will accomplish some great things in the future!
     By the last show I was able to move out of the dressing room and up to the Choreography Room where the girls received their dolls and practiced their walks one last time. I thought the girls would be nervous before modeling, but they were all smiles, fun, and sass as they prepared to go on stage! I hope to channel some of their energy for my own "modeling" on the Miss Nebraska Stage this Summer!
Some of the girls with their dolls!
 
     I also wanted to spotlight the Junior League briefly. I didn't know much about the group before the fashion show Saturday, but I did learn about the group. The Junior League of Omaha is actually a group that I am very interested in joining. They are a group of women dedicated to serving the community - the very activity I have fallen in love with this year! While I love helping out the hearing impaired groups that I work with, I also love that my involvement in pageants allows me to help many different good causes throughout the community. The Junior League allows women to do just that - get involved helping out many good causes in the community!
     It is certainly something I will consider trying to join in the future and I would highly encourage other young women to get involved!
     http://www.jlomaha.org/?nd=home - check out the website to learn more and to see how you can help!

No comments:

Post a Comment