Thursday, February 28, 2013

Frozen Yogurt, Warm Hearts

Collecting CMN Funds!
     Sometimes I think I should be a quick chance artist - After a quick change in the bathroom, I left the bowling ally and made the quick seven-minute trip over to the new TCBY in Ralston. Saturday was the grand opening and the owners (my boyfriend's parents) agreed to donate part of the proceeds to the Children's Miracle Network if I would make an appearance for two hours! The rest of the proceeds went to the Ralston Schools Foundation - how could I possibly pass up an event benefiting CMN and public schools?
With the wonderful owners, Tom Negley and Kara Goos Negley!

With the heir to the TCBY Throne!
 
     It was such a joy to spend the afternoon with people I love. Not only was my boyfriend there volunteering, but I also got to spend the time with his parents and two of our friends! While everyone else made the work go smoothly, I was able to walk around the restaurant, chatting, taking pictures, and informing people about the Children's Miracle Network.
Isn't she adorable?!
 
     Not only was it great to help a great cause and to meet so many people from the community, but it was also wonderful because I was confronted with how much I have grown through this pageant system.
     Last year I remember going to my first event and being scared to approach anyone. I didn't want to go up and bother people at events to talk or ask them to take a picture, so I walked around and talked when I didn't feel like I was imposing too much (which wasn't often).

School spirit and frozen yogurt!
 
     At this event, a little over a year later, my boyfriend told me that he lost me at some points throughout the afternoon because I was lost in conversation with a group of people that he would have sworn I had walked in with if he didn't know better. Truthfully, I get immense joy out of introducing myself, meeting new people, and chatting with them while we support a good cause.
     This signified such growth to me, going from being completely introverted and afraid to put myself out there, to being able to approach a new group of people and have a conversation with them as if we have known each other forever! I couldn't be more thankful for these skills that I have built up through my pageant involvement or for the opportunities I have received that have gotten me to this point.
 
     Win or lose in June - God has certainly blessed me!

No comments:

Post a Comment