Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Monday Memories

   
With two boys from my work!
   Memorial Day brings about thoughts of a day off, sleeping in, warm weather, grilling, and spending time with others for many people. It is also a day of remembrance for America. It is a time when we remember and celebrate the lives of those who have passed before us, especially the brave people who put their lives on the line serving our country.
   My memorial day began with waking up at 5:15 in the morning, getting ready, and heading to set up at the Boys Town Memorial Day Run before spending time with my family.
   Boys Town hosts the Memorial Day Run to raise money for the Lied Learning and Technology Center to support individuals who are deaf and hard of hearing (as well as those who are blind).
 Talk about a wet, dreary day for a run!
   The event was incredibly well put together. There was a constant video reel sharing stories and facts about people with hearing loss. Several groups (including gymnasts, dancers, and tae kwon do students) performed as runners waited for or finished up their races. There were also tables set up for different groups.
   I spent most of my day set up at a table passing out Kool-Aid, signing autographs, and sharing information with people about what I have done with my platform of Hearing Loss Prevention and Awareness. I even let a few of the girls try on my crown!
  When I wasn't at my own table, I spent my time walking around and talking to runners and visiting each of the tables. I got to hang out with clowns, meet the Storm Chasers mascot, and even break boards!
 
 
Here is the video of my board breaking!
I even got a keychain!
 
   This was a great event raising awareness for hearing loss. It provided the perfect amount of exercise, fun, and information to spread the knowledge to nearly any member of our community!
 
Hanging out at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment