Sunday, May 26, 2013

Truly Special

    
     Kind, sincere, friendly, helpful, inspiring - special. The athletes of the Special Olympics are indeed special, but not because of their disabilities. They are special for their natural ability to put a smile on your face, for their strength in the face of challenges, their acceptance of others, and the pure joy and thankfulness that is evident on their faces.
One of the good friends I have met at the Special Olympics!
     I always feel honored to attend events for the Special Olympics, but this was the first event where I really got to spend time with a lot of athletes. It was a joy to watch the athletes laugh and chat with their peers but they also showed the volunteers exceptional kindness. I had one man shake my hand vigorously with the biggest smile on his face and another who swore he saw me on TV. The second young man walked up to the table and proclaimed "Yo yo yo, I saw you on TV! You was lookin' fine! I should have voted for you!" It was absolutely priceless.
My admirer!

     I mostly hung out with the UNL Audiology students who were conducting hearing screenings all day. I met two new friends, Annelise and Nicole, and we spent the day checking athletes in and helping them get around. It was really fun and we all enjoyed seeing the hearing tests that went on throughout the day! The athletes were so excited when they were declared healthy; they were still chatty when they had to get further testing. Those who were diagnosed with a need for hearing aids were offered free hearing aids at one of the audiologist offices near them!
With Annelise and some of the younger athletes! They were precious!
Getting ready to check for ear wax!

    It was also amazing to see the other stations and meet some of the other volunteers! The first station I visited (besides the hearing one) was the fitness station where athletes were able to work on strength, flexibility, and overall healthy living.
Spinning plates in the fitness room!
One of the athletes trying on my crown in the fitness room!
    Next I stopped by the dental area where athletes were able to get their teeth checked and get fitted for a mouth guard they received for free!
With the dental students!
Mouth Guard Fitting
   The final room I was able to visit was the vision room. In there, athletes took three different tests for their sight. At the end, they were prescribed the proper glasses (if necessary) which they received before leaving. If they did not need glasses, they were given sunglasses or sports goggles!
Getting prescriptions filled!
   I later found out that athletes visit these four stations because these are areas where the special needs population is underserved. People with special needs struggle to get proper vision, hearing, and dental care and often suffer from difficulties with fitness. I was surprised to hear that the Special Olympics is able to offer these for free for athletes, but it truly goes to show how big of a difference involvement in the Special Olympics can make in an individuals life!
   
Athletes from Hastings!
Winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment