Sunday, June 16, 2013

Signing Miss Kool-Aid Days

    I cannot believe how much changes in a year. Thinking back to this time last year, I realize that I was nowhere near ready for the Miss Nebraska journey that stood ahead of me. I also realize how much I have grown. I credit my growth to the Miss America Organization and to the deaf community. Ever since I changed my platform to Hearing Loss Prevention, my life has sincerely changed for the better!
The teenage boys
   Considering this, it seems fitting that my Nebraska Hands & Voices fundraiser would be my last appearance before leaving for Miss Nebraska. Considering I have never planned anything big like a fundraiser before, I am incredibly pleased with how the fundraiser went!
The Little Girls
   To begin with, I was blessed with some truly incredible teachers this afternoon. Some decided to follow the lesson plans I provided, and some strayed and took things in there own direction - both went fabulously! The teachers not only were comfortable making the lessons their own and rolling with the plan, but they engaged the participants, encouraging them to practice their signing and ask questions. The teachers went above and beyond, adding signs they thought groups would be interested in and getting to know the participants. I was amazed by how natural and phenomenal all of my teachers were!
The adult group with one of the amazing teachers!
   I also loved having a group of young girls there ready to learn sign language. They were like small sponges, soaking up the signs and practicing every chance they got! Yet, I also had a group of teenage boys who inspired me. Despite the fact that this was a group of teenage boys who did this as a favor to my nephew and myself, they were extremely engaged and seemingly interested the entire time. I figure if I can get a group of teenage boys interested in learning sign language, I can truly expand my message and teach sign language to just about anyone!
  I had so much fun with this fundraiser and I was excited to raise funds for Nebraska Hands & Voices. Now that I have a better idea of what to do and what to expect, I am looking to plan a bigger and better fundraiser in the Fall!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=611857545499460&l=1404071684817195971 Here is a video of the little girls signing!

No comments:

Post a Comment