Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Are You Brave?

   Today I had the extraordinary opportunity to volunteer at the Special Olympics Breakfast of Champions. Last year was my first opportunity to attend the event and I couldn't wait to come back this year!
    Rachel Foehlinger and I started the morning out by greeting guests as they arrived for the festivities. I ran into Joseph Sullivan again (my mermaid friend) as well as several athletes that I met last year. It was so exciting to see everyone and catch up with them - it was a great start to the morning!
    I also got to see one of the families from my work. Their son Nick is one of the athletes, but two of his brothers also joined the family to greet guests with us. I am so proud of them for committing to spend their early morning helping out an organization that has done so much for their brother and their family!
   Once the festivities began, we were welcomed to sit at our own table and enjoy the morning until our next duties. As we sat chatting, one incredibly friendly man approached us, apologizing that we had to sit alone, and inviting us to sit at his table so we wouldn't have to be alone. Upon arriving at the table, the rest of the members of the Omaha Knights of Columbus greeted us happily and began chatting with us. I was extremely touched by their kindness and support!
   While we sat with the Knights, we had the pleasure of hearing featured speakers, Athlete Eric LoChiano and Creighton University Basketball Coach Greg McDermott. While everyone was excited to see Coach McDermott and he gave a fantastic and heartfelt speech about the wonderful qualities of Omaha and our athletes, Eric really stole the show as he talked to us about the bravery it takes to compete, to work at  his job at Panera, and to speak in front of a large room full of people. After inspiring us with his story about the challenges he has taken on, he gave us a challenge of our own - he challenged us to be brave, to reach out, and to support the Special Olympics - an organization that gave him the confidence and the skills to be successful. The speech was met with one of the quickest standing ovations I have ever seen. It was unbelievably touching!
With Coach McDermott!
    After the speeches, Rachel and I walked around collecting donation cards and thanking everyone for coming. It was a phenomenal way to start my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment