Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Heartland Walk for Warmth

 
With some volunteers at the Heartland Walk for Warmth
 
     After stealing about four hours of sleep, I awoke Saturday morning to prepare for three back-to-back appearances. Now I don't normally go looking to completely fill my schedule like this, but I had agreed to attend the Walk for Warmth Saturday morning before Aleah Peters (Miss Douglas County) had suggested doing the dance marathon together. Two appearances didn't sound bad. Then, I found an appearance for my platform and just knew I had to be there, so I scheduled this third appearance. Then, my boyfriends parents announced that Saturday was also the day of the grand opening for their new TCBY. Not only was it extremely important for me to be there to support them because I care about them, but they also agreed to donate part of the days proceeds to the Children's Miracle Network if I would make an appearance. Thus I ended up with a nearly 24 hour marathon to begin my weekend!
 
     The first event Saturday was the Heartland Walk for Warmth. Knowing I was leaving my warm house to spend a few hours in the cold, I wrapped up in my warmest clothes, got in my car, turned up the heat, and turned on my heated seats (which I have become highly fond of in the winter months).
     I spent a good part of the morning shivering, but that was exactly the point. As I was being interviewed with Ellie Lorenzen (Miss Nebraska USA) and Kandis Friedenbach (Mrs. Nebraska) for a local radio station, it really hit me.
     So many of us take our heat for granted. We go home and turn on our heat, we use heated blankets, we get in our cars and turn on the heat, we use our heated seats, and we walk into heated buildings when we go to work, school, or activities. Often times we even complain about how cold it is - I know I do.
     But the reality is that there are people out there who don't have the option to go inside and warm-up or to avoid the bitter cold that Nebraska winters bring. It is estimated that 11.3% of the Omaha population lives in poverty. Since 2009, we have seen a 20.9% increase in need for OPPD's energy assistance program, which includes 401 senior citizens.
     This isn't a problem that we should be ignoring and the walk aims to do exactly that. Not only does it raise awareness when kind, charitable individuals give up a morning of warmth to walk in the cold weather of our great state, but these people have also raised funds in order to provide heat (and cooling for the summer months) to individuals who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford it.
     So, if you get a chance, please visit the website, donate a little bit to help heat a home, and consider joining us for the walk next year!
     You can find all the information at:  heartlandwalkforwarmth.org

No comments:

Post a Comment