Friday, January 18, 2013

Can You Hear Me Now: Hearing Loss Prevention

      One night at practice, a teammate asked me about my platform. As I explained my choice of hearing loss, she was surprised to learn that I had lost the hearing in my left ear. It was at that point that I relized I have not really shared my story with many people. I decided it was time to change this - so here is my story - a story about hearing loss, why it's prevention is important to me, and why it should be important to you.
      Eight years ago, as I sat around at an extracurricular activity chatting with friends, my left ear began ringing. Ringing ears aren't exactly a phenomenon and we've all experienced it. The only problem is that the ringing didn't stop - Not the day it started, the next day, or even the next week. I later noticed that I also couldn't hear in my left ear.
      Concerned, I went to see a doctor about the problem. I was assured nothing was wrong and sent on my way - twice! Finally on the third visit (after three weeks of no hearing in my left ear) I insisted that something needed to be done. I went right over to see an ear, nose, and throat doctor who immediately informed me that I had a virus that had killed almost all of the cells in my ear - including the balance cells. The otolaryngologist added that, had the virus been found earlier, it is possible that the effects could have been reversed and I may have regained some of my hearing.
      There I was, 14 years old, suffering from hearing loss and left to deal with it on my own. I was continually surrounded by people, but no one who could understand what I was going through. I was scared and didn't want to say anything to those around me to indicate that I couldn't hear what they said. I tried simply turning my good ear toward the speaker, but it wasn't always that easy, especially in noisy or large spaces. I found myself becoming more withdrawn socially and finding it more difficult to get involved in conversations - so many times, I simply didn't try.
     As if that weren't hard enough for a teenage girl, I lost all of the balance cells in my left ear. My balance wasn't exactly top notch before the hearing loss, as I noticed constantly during my early twirling career, and losing those balance cells didn't really help the situation! It was a long battle to regain my balance, learning how to spin and jump again, so that I could continue to pursue my passion of twirling baton.
    I was again faced by the difficulties of my hearing loss when I began my work at an after-school program. With deafness in one ear, I have trouble placing where sounds are coming from. When a kid is shouting "Kimmy!" I often have no idea where the noise is coming from and I have to look all around to find the source of the voice. The kids have learned to deal with the loss, but I still worry if there was ever an emergency.
     It has taken a long time for me to come out of my shell again. In fact, I really came out of my shell when I became more involved in my community and began attending events as part of my involvement in the Miss Nebraska Pageant. Through my involvement with the pageant system, I have learned how to put myself out there, adapt so that I can hear as well as possible, and to share my story with those I meet.
    I have effectively learned how to be my own advocate which is something that all people who go through hearing loss need to do. You don't really look at someone and know they have experienced hearing loss (unless you see their hearing aid). It therefore becomes the responsibility of the individual with hearing loss to adjust and to speak out and let others know that they may need some help.
   This is exactly why I want to speak out and let people know how to prevent hearing loss, how to recognize the signs of hearing loss, and about hearing loss in general. Plus, I cannot think of a better way to make this difference than through my pageant platform because it has made such a change for me!
   As I promote my platform of hearing loss prevention, I am incredibly grateful for the resources and support of some truly phenomenal organizations! I am excited to work with the Nebraska Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Hands and Voices, and the Olive Osmond Hearing Fund! Each group will be featured here throughout the coming months as I work with them in the name of hearing loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment