Thursday, January 24, 2013

Nebraska Hands and Voices

   
One of the cutest little girls - I am hoping to keep up with her acquisition of sign language as we both learn!
 
     This past Saturday was the first time I was able to attend a social for Nebraska Hands and Voices, a local non-profit whose aim is to support families of children with hearing loss. The group is just beginning quarterly socials where deaf and hard of hearing children and adults (as well as their families) are able to get together and socialize. This particular Saturday the social took place at AV Sorenson Community Center in Omaha.
     I have to admit that I was nervous for this event. After one semester of sign language, I came to the conclusion that sign language is difficult to learn and that I wanted to finish my elementary education degree before diving into sign language whole-heartedly. That means, however, that I have not seriously used sign language in about a year.
     I had no reason to worry however. There was a great mix of hearing, deaf, and hard-of-hearing people there Saturday and everyone was more than willing to help me communicate and take things slow.
     It was extremely interesting talking to families of children with hearing loss and I feel I gained a lot of insight. In fact, as I talked to families, we discussed the failure of our society to communicate with individuals who are deaf or hard-of hearing. I personally feel that people fail to communicate with individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing because they don't know much about hearing loss or sign language and they often feel intimidated by sign language.
     My goal as Miss Kool-Aid Days is to spread awareness about hearing loss and communicating with people who have hearing loss. Not only do I want to speak to students around the state about hearing loss, I would also love to teach at least a little sign language when I give speeches.
     I was fortunate enough to meet many kids at the event who seemed more than willing to help me learn the important sign language to teach when I give speeches.
One of the young boys who was willing to stop his game long enough for a picture :)
 
     Among the kids I met throughout the day, Austin was one of my favorites. Austin has been deaf for most of his life. After getting implants, he can hear quite well, but he can not talk very much. When Austin finally slowed down long enough to talk to me, he listened and watched as I signed and talked to him and he was kind enough to correct me or teach me a sign when I was having trouble!
     I was sincerely honored to attend the event with Nebraska Hands and Voices this past weekend. The parents who run the organization do a fantastic job! They are also the ones arranging monthly readings/signings of books at public libraries and the mentoring program that I am so excited to take part in! The deaf and hard-of-hearing community in Nebraska is truly lucky to have them!
     I also learned two great websites for practicing/learning sign language - check them out and learn some sign!
     aslpro.com
     signingsavvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment