Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Every Little Girl's Dream




 


 
    
     As I was getting ready for my event yesterday, I thought to myself that being a pageant girl is sort of every little girl's dream - at least in the sense that little girls dream of sashaying around in crowns and pretty dresses. If only we knew as little girls that the crown we imagined wearing as a little girl, was about so much more than simply dressing up and looking pretty.
     Really, one of the best parts about putting on the crown (besides the added sparkle) is knowing that I am on my way to help someone else and to get to know another amazing aspect of my community!
Ready to welcome princesses!
Some of the first arrivals!
     Yesterday was no exception to this belief! I was honored to have my friend and long-time twirling teammate, Rachel Foehlinger, invite myself and fellow twirler, Aleah Peters, to help with a fundraiser for Children's Miracle Network. The three of us, with the help of Sue Foehlinger, ran a Princess-For-A-Day event in which little girls from around the community came out to get their hair and makeup done, complete a princess craft, and learn modeling and a dance to perform for their parents!
 Kayleigh and Claire helping with crafts
 Two of our princesses waiting to get their hair done!
 One of the girls from my work ready to get her makeup done!
 Cute princess crafts!
 Learning a fun dance!
 One of my students dressed in her princess dress!
 
     While Rachel taught the dance and Aleah helped with modeling, I was able to run the hair, make-up, and crafts areas, ensuring that everything ran smoothly and assisting the little girls in their transitions. In addition to seeing the little girls transform into princesses, I had the opportunity to put participants in the hot seat, asking them interview questions ranging from their favorite color and activity to their favorite part of school and what kind of tree they would be if given the choice!
Aleah helping with modeling - so cute!
The six-year-olds all dolled up!
 
     In addition to the interviewing and observation, it was wonderful to see some of our other teammates helping to transform these girls and to see how sweet the girls were! At one point while doing crafts, a four-year old non-chalantly spoke to the girl next to her while working and stated "we should be best friends, ok" and continued working on her craft! It was incredibly adorable and reminded me why I love working with kids!
Rachel, Aleah, and I before the pageant!
     The very next day, the studio became home to 13 wonderful young ladies vying for the titles of Miss Lincoln, Miss Star City, or Miss Lincoln Outstanding Teen! It was great to watch the pageant from the comfort of my "second home" and the girls all did a phenomenal job! After a very tough competition, the judges chose Steffanie Jiroux to be Miss Lincoln, Brooke Ludemann to be Miss Star City, and Morgan Holen to be Miss Lincoln Outstanding Teen. All of these girls did a wonderful job and I hope they enjoy their journeys in the pageant world as much as I have this year! I also want to congratulate one of my fellow sister queens, Kalyssa Hoeffer, on winning first runner up, she did wonderfully!
     I just love this photo (compliments of Miss Heartland) - welcome to the club ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment