Thursday, October 11, 2012

Miss State Fair - Part 1

          Labor Day Weekend - for a college student it usually means a little extra free time to spend with friends and relax and a little more time to get caught up on some homework. For this girl it meant a little more free time, a lot more packing, finishing that aforementioned homework in the car, and spending my day at the Nebraska State Fair where I would be giving up my very first title, Miss Heartland!
After being crowned as Miss Heartland a year ago!
 
       The fun really began Sunday when my lovely director Shelly called me on the way to a family get-together. They were certain I was going to crown a new winner, they were not sure whether or not I would be able to do a talent yet, and they needed a paragraph about my year for the program. So as we headed out to Louisville to meet the rest of the family, I began typing out my outgoing queen letter on my little Droid 2. It was at that moment that I really started thinking about what my year as Miss Heartland had meant to me.
     One year ago, as I headed to the Miss State Fair pageant, I was unsure of my place in the pageant world. I had gone for a couple of titles in the past and never really gotten anywhere. I wasn't quite sure I could continue to pour my time, my heart, and my soul into these pageants with everything else going on in my life! As far as I can remember that day was pretty uneventful. That night, waiting for crowning, they announced 1st runner up and it wasn't me. I thought to myself that I would pack up and go home and I did not think I would do another pageant. When they called my name, I was in shock! I don't think it even really hit me until the next day that I was standing there, being crowned Miss Heartland and that I would have an entire year to use my title to promote my platform and be an even more visible positive role model!

         Throughout my year I was able to participate in many amazing events. There were spaghetti dinners, fundraisers, walks, a teddy bear clinic, a breakfast, and even the Polar Plunge! I loved being out in the community, learning about new organizations doing good in the world, and meeting truly outstanding individuals! By the time I got to Miss Nebraska though, I was second guessing myself a lot and I wasn't really confident throughout the week.
 With my little sisters at Miss Nebraska
 Polar Plunge!
Breakfast of Champions!

       I should have been more confident though! Throughout the week I got loud cheers from the audience, a few seconds on the news each night, and so many compliments! From a photographer nearly forgetting to take my picture because his jaw dropped (his words) to people complimenting my family on my talent performance, people were so supportive!
       The kindest compliment, however, came from my state fair director, Shelly. Shelly told my mother that she was so happy to have me as one of her girls and that my inner beauty shone through. That is what has kept me going this year. Since Miss Nebraska I have been so much more confident and I have done many things with the intention of letting my inner beauty shine through. I try to approach every activity, every competition, every day by being kind, respectful, and positive. I truly believe a smile and a kind word can change someones day and maybe even their life!
     I want to express my deepest gratitude to my directors Chelsey Jungck and Shelly Penner. With our schedules, we didn't really get to work together much during my reign. They were there for me every step of the way for Miss Nebraska though and their support and encouragement was beyond amazing! I am so appreciative for the opportunity they gave me to renew my faith and my belief in myself and to go out there and put as much good as possible into this world! It is amazing what a year as Miss Heartland did for me!
Shelly, Chelsey, and I!
After being crowned Miss Kool-Aid Days this year - what a difference!
 
     There is another fabulous benefit that I received as Miss Heartland - our current Miss Nebraska, Mariah Cook was my sister queen for the whole year! While we did not get to spend much time together during our year, I have truly enjoyed getting to know Mariah and claiming the title of her last local sister queen! She is a phenomenally kind, funny, talented individual! When we are together we tease each other and joke around, but the kindness and support between us is unlike any other! I want to thank Mariah for being such a wonderful representative for the state, a positive role model, and a wonderful friend!
    Finally, I want to encourage anyone who is down or second-guessing themselves to stay positive and persevere. At times you may feel like you are putting in far too much and not getting nearly enough out of your efforts; you might feel like you're never going to accomplish what you are going for. I promise you that your efforts are not for nothing! You gain so much out of each and every experience - both good and bad! While I didn't accomplish my goal of making top 5 at Miss Nebraska, I grew so much and learned so much about myself through the process. With a little reflection and a positive attitude, we can take good things away from bad experiences! 

No comments:

Post a Comment