Monday, October 1, 2012

Blessed Beginnings to a wonderful year


                This is the final blog from my weekend in Hastings! Sunday was an incredibly tough morning as I started preparing for my last day with the amazing Terwey family, my wonderful director, and the lovely town of Hastings. Going from having numerous events every day where I got to meet amazing people and make a difference by being a positive role model for not only those girls I am around every day, but for girls throughout the entire community, I couldn’t fathom leaving them and going back to the busy hectic life of a baton twirling, pageant girl, college student.

                Despite my troubles preparing to leave Hastings, I packed up my stuff and met Trevor and Abby Terwey to look through photos so we could pick out a headshot. I couldn’t thank the Terwey family enough because I was so appreciative of their hard work for the events, their support of me, and their talent as photographers. They were some of the kindest people I met in Hastings and I am honored to call them my friends!

                Finally it was time to head over to my last event for the weekend – the cardboard boat races. I agreed to meet Susan a bit early so that I could meet her fellow church members and some children. Everyone was so sweet but the kids were especially shy. I attempted to pull some of these girls out of their shell and managed to do well with most of them! It was great meeting them!




 

                The cardboard boat races were amazing! When I first heard I would be attending cardboard boat races I figured people would make small to medium sized cardboard boats, set them in the water, and race them. In reality, people built life-size boats, got in them, and rowed them around the lake! There was such a wide variety of themes on the boats ranging from rock and roll and kool-aid all the way to the Olympics and sharks. Some of these took weeks upon weeks to build and one was even in the final stages of construction when I arrived that morning! I was fortunate enough to see some of these boats float all the way around the lake and one little boy who had trouble rowing but who stuck with it and remained undeterred in his attempt to finish the race! These kids were wonderful! I also got to see one of the boats sink and let me tell you – I stuck my foot in the water when I arrived at the lake and the water was exceptionally cold!
 Kool-Aid Boat!
 Unfortunately this is the boat I saw sink!

 One of the race winners!

 Olympic Boat!
 Finishing at the last minute!
 This particular boat has won the Kool-Aid Cup 3 times!

 This little girl approached me and asked "Can I be a princess like you one day?"
 Racing
:)
                While walking around and talking to many of the spectators I met a young man from California. As we talked he said he was extremely impressed with me. A little taken aback I thanked him and asked why he said that. He told me that he felt like it would be a bit like family reunions – he imagined I would be happy to see everyone when we got there but that I would be tired of everyone by the third day. He expressed amazement and gratitude that I was still walking around, talking to everyone at the events, and thoroughly enjoying myself and getting to know everyone. And that is really what it comes down to – I felt in no way impressive for these things. I love meeting new people, I love being a positive role model, and I truly did enjoy my time in Hastings more than I could ever describe! For me the weekend was not a job, but rather a huge opportunity and blessing in my life. I cannot possibly thank everyone enough for the part they played in my weekend!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment