Sunday, October 14, 2012

Dog Days of....Autumn?

      About two years ago my family adopted Owen, a golden retriever - labrador mix from the Fremont Humane Society. Before we got Owen, we had a daschund that we adopted from a rescue shelter. Needless to say, when a young woman invited me to a fundraiser for an animal shelter while I was in Hastings, I was honored!

     On Saturday October fifth I left my house at 8A.M. for the two-and-a-half hour drive to the Heartland Pet Connection fundraiser in Hastings. I arrived at Hastings Motorsport Park at about 10:30 and immediately began helping with registration for the dog walk and 5/10k runs. While temperatures had been hovering at around 70 or 80 degrees in Nebraska recently, the forecasted high for the day was only in the 50's! Despite the cold weather, many people showed up and brought their dogs along for the event!
One of the families and I before the walk =D
Finishing the dog walk :)
     After a little bit of time walking around and mingling, it was time to judge a pie contest! This was my first time judging a food contest and I was elated! While the contest was small, the pies were delicious! The winning pie was a banana caramel pie that was simply heavenly!




   Next I was able to take a ride in a beautiful red corvette! We went around the race track in Hastings and got up to around 100 miles an hour! It was extremely fun and exciting and I even got behind the wheel!

My ride for the day! :)
    Later it was on to judging a dog contest. There were events for cutest dog costume, best bark, best tail wag, and even best kiss! While most of the dogs just kissed their owners, one of the little ones jumped up on the table and started licking my cheek - it felt a little like something you would see in a movie and it worked - the cute dog won!
    A lover of all animals, I couldn't resist getting a picture with the pony's they had for pony rides. When I asked to take a picture with the pony, they offered to take a picture of me on the pony. Then, when I got on the pony, they asked if I wanted to take a ride on the pony. As your 2012-2013 Miss Kool-Aid Days I proudly rode that pony around the ring for all to see and boy did I feel like a little kid again!
I think this photo just screams "Miss Nebraska!"
     While I had a wonderful time at the event, I was not  quite prepared for the cold that I would have to endure! I spent at least 5 hours out in the cold at the event. When it wrapped up I did not get to go home though. Saturday was also the night of the Lincoln Linx Marching Band Competition and I was expected to perform with the UNO marching band.
     I wrapped myself up, hopped in my little yellow PT Cruiser, and drove off with the heat on high and my heated seats turned on! On the drive from Hastings to Lincoln I stopped at two rest stops where I redid my hair and makeup and changed into my twirling apparel for the evening. Needless to say, I got some rather strange looks walking around rest stops in twirling makeup and a costume with a tutu sticking out!
 Before the performance prep
 After stopping to do my hair and makeup
Finally ready for the performance...incognito though :)
    I made it to Lincoln with a few minutes to spare before the band arrived. With the nighttime cold really setting in, it was almost too cold to warm up! The twirlers stood around stretching and attempting to warm up as much as we dared while the band played through the show. Then it was time to hit the field! A little too quickly it was time to lose the warm-ups and prepare to perform in our twirling leotard and tutus!
Lovely UNO Feature Twirlers :)
   By the time we finally thawed out, I think the performance went really well! It was getting a little late by the time we headed home though and I was sad to miss the wedding of my teammate and coach, Jennifer Curtis and the bachelorette party of one of my good friends!

    Overall the day was a success and I was extremely honored to take part in the fundraiser and band performance! I am so thankful that God has provided me with all of these amazing opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment