Sunday, August 4, 2013

Home Away from Home

     
   As soon as I pull onto High 34, I know I am at home. Not my home, but Hastings. I sincerely have fallen in love with the town in the year I have gotten to represent them and it felt a little bittersweet driving on the road one last time as Miss Kool-Aid Days this past Friday.
    In fact, I have fallen so in love with the town and been to visit often enough, that they don't even make me stay at a hotel anymore, they provide me with an apartment at the house of one of the board members.
 
Practicing being a princess!
 
   It felt like it was only natural that my last appearance would be in my home away from home, just as my first appearance was. When they asked if I would take part in the local First Friday tradition in Hastings, I was eager to agree. The appearance would require me to speak about baton twirling and pageants, including my year as Miss Kool-Aid Days at an event called Juxtaposition.
   I have to admit, it isn't often I have to give a twenty minute speech and I was a little nervous. Despite my nerves, I outlined what I wanted to discuss. While I did want to talk about baton twirling and pageantry, two things that have largely impacted my life, I also wanted to make sure the people of Hastings knew how incredible this journey was and how much they helped me.
 
 
   Overall I think the speech went really well. It was great to share my story and extend my gratitude to the people of Hastings for all they have done to help me in my Miss Kool-Aid Days journey. I even got to learn a basic clogging step when my co-presenter gave her speech!
   I am incredibly grateful to Russanne Erickson and the Hastings Museum for having me and for making me feel so at home!
With Russanne (Left) and Megan (Right)
With Megan - she did an amazing job speaking!
   One thing that made this trip even more special for me was that my mom was able to go with me. My mom hasn't been able to make it out for any of my appearances in Hastings, so it was a pleasure to show her around my second home. We got to walk around the First Friday activities and I got to show her the building where Edwin Perkins manufactured Kool-Aid!
 
 
   While we were out, my mom wanted to get some pictures with the statues they have around Hastings. We took my sash with for pictures, but I didn't wear it. While we walked down the street and I had my sash rolled up in my hand, we noticed a little girl stop in the middle of the street, get a huge grin on her face, and run up to give me a hug. It was so sweet! We stayed and chatted for a little bit and I found out the girl is 4 tests away from being a black belt - how incredible! It truly was an honor to meet her and I am so happy she agreed to take a picture with me!
 
Even though I am no longer Miss Kool-Aid Days, I will definitely visit again! I've said it a million times this weekend, but I will gladly say it again, I am so thankful Hastings took me in as they did and helped me so much in my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment