Sunday, June 30, 2013

Moo at the Zoo

Hanging out at the zoo!
  
   Today I finally was able to jump back into my role as Miss Kool-Aid Days when I made an appearance at the Moo at the Zoo Dairy Month event here in Omaha. It felt amazing to resume my duties as Miss Kool-Aid Days - I didn't realize how much I missed all of the volunteering and  meeting new people that happens at appearances!
With the Dairy Princess Runner Up

   I couldn't have picked a better event or occasion to start with either - I didn't feel right living in Nebraska and not doing something to celebrate Dairy Month!
 
   I arrived at the zoo a little before 9 to find my spot and prepare. One of the zoo workers, Rachell, suggested starting at the pig races. A little hesitant, wondering if they had real pigs or what, I followed Rachell and agreed to start at the pig race station. She showed me how to turn on the electric pigs, set them up, and let them hustle to the end of the small track we had set up. It didn't take long before I put this knowledge to use and had kids start racing. They picked their favorite pig and cheered it on as it moved down the track. Then, the winners got an animal hat and the other participants got suckers.
   It was really fun when the kids got into it, squatting down to eye level to cheer on the pig of their choice as it raced to victory. The kids really did have a great time with it and it was fun to see their excitement.
Racing!
   Of course the zoo didn't just stop at the pig races, they also provided a bean bag toss and a game of Plinko for kids to play. When the kids weren't playing, there was a DJ to listen to, face painting, and cattle to look at and feed. The Dairy Council was even handing out coloring sheets, milk mustache stickers, and other information about dairy!
Bean Bag Toss
Plinko!
Face Painting
Penguin face paint
Life size tic-tac-toe
Music
   Leave it to the zoo to provide a fun day that is still educational. Within the park, I found a table educating visitors about bees. They explained that without bees, we wouldn't have the food cows eat, and without the food cows eat, we wouldn't have cows. It was really interesting to see the effects of the extinction of bees and to learn while we got to enjoy all of the fun activities.

   I am so thankful they had me come out to help with the event at the zoo. I had a fabulous time!

Fellow volunteers and new friends!
Dairy Princess Runner Up!
I even got to "milk a cow!"

No comments:

Post a Comment