Saturday, April 27, 2013

Huskers for Hearing

    
     "You get out of it what you put into it." I've heard this saying often and  I wholeheartedly believe it. It defines my view on my Miss Kool-Aid Days reign - I've gotten a lot out of my reign because I have been willing to put a lot in to it.
I thought it was a little cold for shorts, but to each their own!
      I really felt this was true last Saturday. I showed up for the Huskers for Hearing 5k and quickly decided I would stay until the race started and then dart out to escape the frosty cold of the morning. As quickly as the thought crossed my mind, it was gone. I was in this for the long, cold morning.
     I am so thankful I made that decision. It was absolutely phenomenal to be able to assist people who will be helping others avoid and deal with hearing loss!
     The walk was put on by the audiology students at UNL and the funds went to support Hear U - an organization that works to provide hearing aids for children who can't otherwise afford them. The students did a fantastic job and had over 100 participants for their first ever 5k fundraiser!
     While at the fundraiser, I got to meet several interesting people and do some fun things! First of all, I met Jolene - a lovely mannequin with the ability to report the decibel level of your iPod and the amount of time you would have to listen for it to affect your hearing. Anything above 80-85decibels is harmful to your hearing and I would be willing to bet a lot of people listen to their music at a louder volume! I would love to take this out on some school visits in the Fall!
     I also got to meet a man who reinforced the importance of sharing my story. This man experienced the exact same thing that happened to me and he lost the hearing in one ear due to a virus - the difference is that he knows audiologists who got him on steroids immediately. He talked to me about how difficult it was for him when he couldn't hear at first and about thankful he has been since his hearing has started coming back (under the influence of the steroids). One of the audiologists even added that it is all too common for doctors to insist nothing is wrong and for people to experience more loss because of this. If I can help people learn the warning signs, they can get it taken care of and save their hearing, just like this man did.
The first runner to cross the finish line!
 
     Besides getting to meet all of these wonderful people though, I was also able to do some fun things. I had the opportunity to help with registration, talk on a blow horn, help clean up, and most importantly, cheer on the runners. They came in off a long race and a long stretch, so I was able to stand at the last curve and support them as they finished the race. You haven't seen a truly grateful smile until you've seen the smile of someone who is about to finish a race!
       Overall, I was extremely thankful for this experience. I look forward to working with the audiology department and Hear U to make  an impact on the issue of hearing loss in the state of Nebraska!

No comments:

Post a Comment