Sunday, September 2, 2012

Your 2013 Miss Kool-Aid Days, Oh Yeahhhh!!!


Hello, my name is Kimberly Brennan and I am proud to be your 2013 Miss Kool-Aid Days! This is my very first blog so please stick with me as I record all of my fun Miss Kool-Aid Days Events and chronicle my journey to Miss Nebraska 2013.

Although I have passed Hastings maybe a hundred times while traveling and I have dreamed of attending Kool-Aid Days, I have never been able to go! When they announced the Miss Kool-Aid Days pageant this year I was pumped and I really prayed to win the title so that I could stay for the weekend and experience the Kool-Aid Days festivities.

Pageant day ended up being quite the adventure! I woke up in the morning and was greeted by my mother telling me she didn’t feel well and that she might not make it to the pageant. At this point I nearly considered telling the director that I couldn’t make it…how could I ever manage a pageant without my biggest and best supporter in the audience cheering me on? With some encouragement, I got ready and hit the road with my dad for the two hour drive from Omaha to Hastings.

When I got there, I was unsure what to expect, but the setup of the auditorium was bright and fabulous and everyone was so kind and excited to be there! I thoroughly enjoyed spending my day with three wonderful young ladies. I was fortunate enough to share a dressing room with Megan Dimmit, an old friend, and she kept us all laughing throughout the day! I also got to meet Adrian Jochum and Courtney Leydig, two amazing girls who put some sass in the opening number dance and who were so fun to chat with! The fabulous pageant director, Susan Spady, kept things extremely laid back and relaxed while Kathleen, our choreographer, kept the dance fun and simple and ran it a million times until we finally felt comfortable with it! Even Steve, the sound and lighting guy, worked with me patiently as I tried to make the lighting just right for talent!

 

After a couple glasses of Kool-Aid and running the opening number at least twenty times, it was finally interview time! I was the last interview of the day and I was exceptionally nervous because I had changed my platform after Miss Nebraska last year and it was time to introduce my brand new platform – “Can You Hear Me Now: Hearing Loss Prevention.” Considering I had never competed with this platform, I had no idea what to expect in interview – I felt like I was competing for the first time all over again! I had no need to worry though – our judges were wonderful and I felt a real connection! I walked out of the room beaming because the interview felt so good! Our head judge even noted “Kimberly, those were some excellent remarks, is there anything else you would like to add?” Needless to say – I was floating on air during my break before the pageant began!
 
The pageant flew by as we raced through opening number, physical fitness, talent, evening wear and onstage question. The atmosphere remained surprisingly relaxed throughout the night and I truly enjoyed the experience.

Before we knew it, it was time for crowning! With four wonderful contestants, no one knew what to expect and we were all nervous! When they announced my name as Miss Kool-Aid Days I was so honored to be picked from such a wonderful group of young ladies, but what was truly special was being crowned by the lovely Miss Nebraska, my sister queen from last year and good friend – Mariah Cook! We had only been crowned a year ago together, and here she was, living her dream and crowning me. I couldn’t have asked for a better ending to pageant night! Plus, the next day my wish would come true – I was finally going to attend Kool-Aid Days!
I was also thrilled to have such a wonderful support crew!


 =D
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment