Friday, September 7, 2012

The Fun Begins!


                Looking back, I personally feel Miss Kool-Aid Days is one of the best pageants I could have won this year as it gave me a glimpse into what it is really like to be Miss Nebraska. After the pageant, taking pictures, signing autographs, packing up, and talking with my director, I was whisked off to stay in a hotel for the evening - it was my first time ever staying in a hotel room on my own and it was a great experience!

                Like a true Miss Nebraska, I started my duties the next day by taking pictures and mingling with the crowd before participating in a ribbon cutting and unveiling of the remodeled birthplace of Kool-Aid! The actual birthplace is no longer around, but the front of the building is decorated in remembrance of Hastings’ major claim to fame. They did a great job and the building looks beautiful!
 
Ribbon Cutting with the Board and Volunteers
                                                              Kool-Aid Birthplace
  Kool-Aid Street!
The Kool-Aid Man!
Olivia, one of the little girls I met. She had Cheeto Fingers!

                I was honored to visit the Hastings museum after the unveiling and I could not believe how wonderful it was! There were so many cool exhibits including animals, a huge civil war display, old cars, and the Kool-Aid exhibit! The museum had interesting historical pieces and a lot of fun interactive exhibits that I got to enjoy.
 A few of the kids I met
 The beauty of a big dream :)
Edwin Perkins - Inventor of Kool-Aid
 
                Following the visit to the museum I headed over to Studio 709 for a photo-shoot where I got to hang out with Abby and Trevor Terwey, two wonderful photographers. They are so kind and so good at what they do that I had a blast at my session, got a ton of amazing photographs, and made two fantastic friends! Trevor even led me over to the next event – the Little Jammers Boat Races!

                The Little Jammers Boat Races were fascinating! The children were so creative and there were so many different boats. I even got to race one of the boats for a child who wasn’t feeling well. Presenting the awards for the races was an amazing experience as well because the kids were so excited that their hard work had paid off!
 Comic Book Boat
 One of the boat racers
 Another boat racer - I got to see her a lot over the weekend
 And they're off!
 Two boys from my work who I ran into!
Winner of the Best Boat Design Award!
                While I was at the boat races I got to do my first two live interviews ever! I was extremely nervous because the interviews were live but the reporters were so friendly that I had a blast and the interviews went well! It was definitely a good experience to have and I am very thankful for it!
 It was the first interview for both Jess (a Kool-Aid board member) and me!
 My first interviewer
              My second interviewer 
              My last event for the day was an event just for the sponsors who made the event possible. They were invited to enjoy the games, dinner, and some Kool-Aid during the evening and I was fortunate enough to join them! I met so many wonderful people who took me in and treated me with extreme kindness. I think I met just about everyone in the room and it was the first sign of how truly wonderful the Hastings community is and the kindness they would show me throughout the weekend! I couldn’t have been more blessed!
 These two girls wanted to make funny faces.
 Racing Horses
 A little girl I met :)
 This little girl let me work a game with her for a bit!
 Precious!

 They had the Macy's balloon at the event - it was a great flashback to my time in New York!

One of the men from Macy's
                As things wrapped up, I was free to head back to the hotel and grab a number of Hastings Newspapers that had my picture on the front cover! It was such an amazing day and I cannot thank God enough for the experiences! As exciting as it all was, I feel asleep quickly and slept like a rock thanks to the exhausting day of activities! Saturday would prove to be another busy day and I needed all the rest I could get!

No comments:

Post a Comment